Women and men are affected differently by energy access or the lack thereof. Applying a gender lens to energy policies, programmes and projects helps to identify the different impacts, to bridge existing gaps and contributes to more gender equity in the energy sector.
ENERGIA works with a wide variety of (governmental) organisations and institutions to:
- Assess the likely implications of a specific project or programme on women and men (diagnose)
- Agree on what that specific programme or project wants to achieve from a gender perspective (gender goal and strategy)
- Design activities on how these gender goals can be met
- Build consensus among stakeholders on the approach
- Develop a gender sensitive monitoring strategy
Amongst our clients are the governments of Botswana, India, Kenya, the Philippines, Sri Lanka and Tanzania, the WorldBank, the Asian Development Bank and international donors such as Norad.
In November 2015 ENERGIA and the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA) started a partnership to implement Millenium Challenge Corporation projects in Benin, Ghana, Liberia, Malawi, Nepal and Tanzania. Main goals of the projects are to:
- Increase electricity supply and access
- Increase affordability of electricity through sector and institutional reforms
- Improve corporate governance, financial management, and commercial operations for electric utilities
- Promote productive uses of electricity to increase entrepreneurial activity, income generating (and increased income) opportunities, increased employment, especially for women, poor and marginalized segments of society.
ENERGIA’s main added value in this partnership is to ensure Gender and Social Inclusion in all projects, and include policy recommendations, (methodology recommendations for) gender audits, capacity building and the development of Terms of References for Women Entrepreneurship programmes and budgets.
Latest ENERGIA publications on Gender Mainstreaming
Mainstreaming gender in energy sector policy and practice_FULL REPORT Journal Article
Mainstreaming gender in energy sector policy and practice_EXECUTIVE SUMMARY Journal Article
Gender Briefing Notes: Supporting active inclusion of women in energy and development projects Technical Report
European Union Energy Initiative Partnership Dialogue Facility (EUEI PDF) 2013.
Mainstreaming gender in the energy sector. Training manual Technical Manual
Mainstreaming Gender in the Energy Sector. Trainers Guide Technical Manual
Gender Mainstreaming in the Botswana Power Corporation Technical Report
Gender Mainstreaming in the Pakistan Domestic Biogas Programme Journal Article
Gender Mainstreaming in the Enhancing Renewable Energy Options Project, Sri Lanka Journal Article
Gender Mainstreaming in the UAIMES-PR Programme, Tanzania Journal Article
Gender Mainstreaming to Strengthen Community Based Renewable Energy Systems in the Philippines Journal Article